Pre-K 3s through Kindergarten
- Students must be ages 3 and 4 by August 1.
- Students must be potty-trained.
- Monday through Friday from 7:45 AM to 3 PM.
- Early Morning Care available starting at 7:30 AM in the classroom.
- Extended Care available 3 PM to 6 PM (for a fee).
- Maximum of 16 students per classroom.
- Full-time teaching assistant in each room.
PreK Curriculum Highlights:
- Math: collect and organize data; counting and 1-1 correspondence; compare objects based on length and weight; represent addition and subtraction with objects.
- Pre-reading: letter recognition; recognize and produce rhymes; sound recognition; phoneme blending.
- Science: hands on experimentation; participation in school-wide vegetable garden.
- Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears.
- Religion: Our Sunday Visitor; Saint of the Week; Advent and Lenten prayer services; Mardi Gras parade.
- Weekly classes including Art, Music, Physical Education, Library, and Computer Lab.
- Christmas Concert.
- Spring Tea and Donut Day.
- Edgenuity computer-based math/language arts program.
- Nursery Rhymes A-Z.
SMS appreciates all learning styles; our faith and relationship to God are essential in our teaching.
All children learn differently. SMS Kindergarten teachers take the time to assess the learning abilities of each child so each individual student can reach his or her full potential. Each child works at the highest ability with individualized programs and activities. SMS Kindergarten classrooms feature a hands-on approach to learning.
- Individualized instruction.
- Daily Religion and Prayer.
- Full-time assistant.
- Computers and iPads.
- Daily Specials including Art, Music, Physical Education, Library, and Computer Lab.
- Weekly Mass.
- Maximum of 20 students per classroom.
- Spanish program.
Kindergarten Curriculum Highlights:
- Math Shelf computer-based math program.
- Raz-Kids: Individualized online reading program.
- SuperKids Literacy Program, as well as Orton Gillingham.
- Learning.com: computer basics program.
- Study Trips, including Moore Road Farm and Children's Museum.
- Cardinal Ritter Trick-or-Treat and 100 Day Celebration.
- 8th grade buddies.